Monday, January 09, 2006

Service Sucks!

I have one question. What has happened to the service industry? When I was in school, I worked as a cashier and a waitress. I understand the stuff they deal with. It all started for me when I moved to N.O., LA. It was about 1996 and all the Wal-mart cashiers were horrible. They don't say hello, they ring up your items and look at you like, I'm waiting, and then forget thanks for shopping. I atributed it to "Big City" ways since I am from a small town. I am finding, though, that no matter where I travel service is hardly ever good. I now live in a growing community outside a large city (not N.O.)and service sucks! I almost don't enjoy eating out anymore. The other day we went to chili's, and waited forever while waiters went to tables all around us. Finally, we asked the hostess who our waiter was and they got us somebody who was actually pretty good. Then Sunday we went back- yes, a glutton for punishment. The service was bad. The dishes were nasty. Something was stuck to my glass, and a worm looking thing was floating inside. When I got a new glass, junk was caked on the outside of it as well. The spoon had a nasty film on it, blah, blah blah... We fianlly ate and waited for our check, and waited, and waited... We eneded up leaving some cash for the bill and splitting. By the way, some people were sat in the table we had waited in the other day. Yep, they sat there for about 10 minutes before being waited on. People, can we please give a damn about our job!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jim Looby said...

Just curious: Did you make this comment while at work? =)

8:13 AM  
Blogger teach99 said...

Yes... Why?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Day by Day said...

GROSSSSSSS!!!! It pisses me off to no end when I am treated as though the waitress/ cashier/ etc is doing me a favor... Excuse me, I am the one paying your paycheck... I am the customer, without me you would have no job!!!! Good Post!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Hey, did the products make it to you okay? Do you love the eye cream?

6:07 PM  
Blogger teach99 said...

Jim, I get it-ha ha! Have you ever heard of a lunch break?

S, Thank you, I am glad to know others feel the same way.

Amy, I do love the eye cream. Next time you are in town we will do the foundation. I had forgoten how that sampeling works.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Next time I'm there, you need to host a par-tay. You can earn free stuff that way!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Stewie said...

I think a huge reason for the decline of customer service is the customers themselves.

I worked retail for 10 years and I now have an intense hatred for people in general.

Customers expect something for nothing and are unreasonable, for the most part.

All customers aren't like this, certainly, but you do get jaded in the service industry.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I am a HUGE student of service. I have also worked in retail and food service. Funny thing is, if you're good at it you rarely have to deal with the BS because you can turn a customer's attitude pretty easily.
I think it's a problem with training. They're never TAUGHT how to give good service - and it's getting harder and harder to pick it up from observation.

My definition of customer service: The state of voluntary subjection to a customer. The condition of being bound to service.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home