Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Idioms

Hi blog world, I finally have something to say again. If you read my other posts ( a whopping two), you should know I teach reading. We use a program called Language. Anyway, in this program they emphasize that the student learn the meaning of all these idioms like "at the drop of a hat" or "your in hot water". Seems stupid to me, but I teach it. Today our idiom was "on his last leg". Well, I was teaching along trying to get these special ed students to get the meaning of this stupid saying when one of my students said, "Mrs. R*****, aren't we making fun of people who have lost their leg." While trying to keep a straight face, I assured the student we were not making fun of anyone. Sometimes I think I am on my last leg in the classroom. At least I can count on those 10-12 year olds for some comic relief from time to time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chuchey Dradey said...

We teach some little idioms dont we.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Jim Looby said...

Holy crap. That was exactly what I was going to comment.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

You're awesome! Thanks for the post on my "wierdos" post. I put a response there if you want to read.

How did the catalog sale go?

9:41 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Sounds like you would have a lot in common with my partner. She teaches Reading to 7th graders, and in the inner city. Teachers are saints in my book

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home